Growing Our Garden

Gardening…

It’s as much a part of me as cooking is. When I wasn’t in the kitchen with my Grandma, we were out in the garden with her and my Grandpa. If you couldn’t find us there, we were on one of the many farms held by various family members all over the southern states in either Florida, Georgia, or Alabama. I loved being outside, and I loved being in the garden or on a farm. Picking the peaches off the peach trees of my Aunt P’s farm right outside of Dothan, Alabama was one of my favorite things to do. She would give me a basket and say to me “Binky!  Go pick them peaches, and if you pick good one’s we’ll have us some cobbler after supper” OH THE COBBLER! I miss that cobbler, but I digress. Shhhhh… Don’t tell my aunt, but I used to eat more peaches than I picked. I’d fill my basket and sit down under one of those trees with a water hose to clean the peaches and eat to my hearts content… Oh, those were the days. Sticky, sweet, juicy peach filled summer days.

Mr. Foodie built this box  and surprised me one day after work. I was so grateful. It was lovely, beautiful and perfect, as I had been wanting to do this for quite some time. It was at the beginning of spring when we started this thing. It was still cold. It was still wet; it was still miserable. But we were determined.

I grew up with a garden, and it is an experience that I want to share with my children no matter where we live; no matter how much or how little space we have… I want them to know how to grow food.

I want them to know how to be able to cultivate the earth, and I’m proud to say that after a few short months of being faithful in their care and keeping of their crops; they are now producing a harvest.

As you can see where there was merely dirt, there is now a robust garden blooming full of items that are soon to be pulled and enjoyed in our kitchen. There are several varieties of fruits and vegetable planted throughout the two squares. We have broccoli, strawberries, radishes, carrots, lettuce, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, and many other items. We’ve started our fall seedlings and are looking forward to turning over the garden for pumpkins, corn, and autumn/winter squash.

Ta-Da!  LOL

Don’t fret; I have another post coming up to tell you all about exactly what went into creating the boxes and the mix I used as we had to improvise living abroad for the dirt. However, right now I just want to say how proud I am of the kids for sticking with this and seeing the “fruits” of their labor come to true… They even helped me plant two blueberry bushes.

So stay tuned into our garden series; I have a feeling this will be a part of Foodie Finds Home for years to come.

Until Next Taste,
Love and Peaches,
Binky er… Lori

53 Comments Add yours

1. robin rue says:

It looks like your garden is coming along nicely! We started a garden this year, too, but yours is growing better than ours 🙂

2. KimberlyCruzLopez says:

I’ve always thought about starting my own garden. How do you engage your kids in the planting process?

3. Sona Jain says:

My husband loves gardening and he has grown few plants as well. I love how engaged he is with this activity and I am sure your family had a great time too.

4. Ben Butler says:

I love this! I used to have a garden every year. It was so much fun, and the veggies were so good.

5. dearashblog1 says:

That is so cool you have a garden to tend to! I am in college, so I don’t have this luxury. But one day I might have a garden like yours, I am crossing my fingers!!

Much love,
    Ashley | dearash.com

6. I love that you involved your kids in this. We started our first garden this year and I am anxiously awaiting the growth of my veggies!

7. GlamKaren says:

Amazing garden! It would be lovely to grow your own fruits and veggies in your backyard. I would love to find out how this all came to be. And I’m definitely looking forward to what you have in the Fall.

8. Amanda Love says:

I have been planning to do the same in our yard for the longest time. I’ll probably start once I’m done fixing up the house. This is great! And it’s nice that the kids are involved.

9. Its great involving your kids and showing them. I would love to grow my own veg if I had the time!!

10. Sarah Bailey says:

What a fantastic thing to be doing in your garden, I do wish I was more green fingered sadly I seem to have a black thumb!

11. Jessica Joachim says:

I have always looked up to those who garden. I have tried, and failed quite a few times. I think that I am just not great with plants lol

12. Liz Mays says:

Wow, you’ve done so well with the your garden. It must be so satisfying to see all of the healthy fruits and vegetables growing.

13. Cassie says:

Your garden is flourishing! And love that the kids are getting involved! I can’t wait until we have our own home and can make our own gardens, I really want an awesome veggie patch!

14. I love gardening but I have a lot of trouble with fruit and vegetables. Your garden idea looks great and everyone can help.

15. Several years ago I used to grow my own vegetable garden. But then I kept having trouble keeping it under control. The next year I decided to not have a garden and now I have a hummingbird garden instead .

16. It’s awesome to share this kind of knowledge with the kids. You get to make memories as you tend to your fruits and veggies as well. I would love to see more of your garden and how you managed to make it flourish!

17. We love gardening! Unfortunately we didn’t plant one this year but I miss it so much. I love having fresh veggies right out our door!

18. I don’t have much of a green thumb but I definitely prefer veggies fresh from the garden! I will definitely keep an eye out for your upcoming posts to help me get started!

19. Gardening is a great way to teach kids about being responsible and caring for nature as well. I think it’s nice that you’re introducing your kids to gardening! And wow! That’s a lot of fruits and veggies to enjoy.

20. What a great way to teach your kids. Eventually, they’ll start loving nature and they’ll be able to do things that can help our planet. Kudos! You’re awesome!

21. When I was a kid my mom did a lot of gardening. I had allergies so I wasn’t able to help out, but since outgrowing them, I would love to create my own garden when I can grow some of my favorite fruits and veggies.

22. rhianwestbury says:

Your garden looks really awesome, sadly I live in a block of flats so I don’t have a garden and I do miss having one x

23. I’m from Georgia so I know all about those yummy peaches! We always had a garden when I was kid. We have a small garden now with herbs, but I wish we grew more vegetables.

24. Toni Dash says:

Growing your own garden is really fun especially when kids love to get involved! I can’t wait to start my own garden again!

25. reesa says:

Oh I love how you set up your garden like that! My kids LOVE gardening and it makes me so happy for them to be involved in the food process!

26. BRI says:

Your garden is beautiful!! We have a small one, but have been having a little bunny issue.

27. Stace Werner says:

I really like having a garden. In our old house we had a raised garden and it really made a difference by having something to do with the extra yard space, as well as having fresh produce and just overall looking nice.

28. Jeanine says:

So gorgeous! I really wish I had a garden right now, hopefully when we move this summer i can get one started in my backyard!

29. We have a small garden spot that my husband tends to every year. This year we have tomatoes, onions, various peppers, carrots, brussels sprouts and cucumbers growing.

30. That’s so awesome that you got your family involved. It looks like it’s gonna be a great garden! Can’t believe how much everything has grown!

31. Kristine Nicole Alessandra says:

Your vegetables look so healthy! I love how you teach your kids to love gardening and growing their own crop. That’s great. They will grow up learning how to fend for themselves.

32. cvnxena says:

We have just moved and I want to plant things in my garden! I love the food box, what a lovely idea, well done Mr. Foodie

33. Heather says:

I love square foot gardening – so awesome that your hubby surprised you! I have to agree, gardening is something that is in my blood, and while I don’t always excel at it, I feel off if I am not getting my hands in the dirt to grow something for my family.

34. Your garden looks wonderful. I myself have been working on my green thumb!

35. Now you’ve got me stuck on cobbler! Boy, do I miss it as well!

36. I would love to get back into gardening. You definitely made me reminiscence.

37. Heather says:

What a lovely garden! I keep wanting to plant one but my lizard phobia has me backing out! I know the first time I see one of those little creatures I will run away and never pick another plant again. 😦

38. Kristi says:

We have a small garden this year. Need to add more to it. Trying peas and squash for the first time… they are sooo slow.

39. It is awesome that you are passing down this family tradition and skill. It will serve them well

40. Cindy Magee says:

I grew up with my parents’ garden and now have a garden of our own this year. I forgot how quickly it grows with just a couple days of rain!

41. Oh yes, girl! Nothing on earth compares to a southern fruit cobbler! The fruit picked fresh that same morning before the dew even has a chance to dry. Bring it in to sweeten up in a bowl of sugar while pawpaw made ice cream to go with. The. Best. Ever.

42. We just moved to a new house and I dream of gardening there one day. I’d love to grow my own herbs.

43. We grew a lot of our own veggies a few years ago. We had raised beds, trellis etc. Had a few great years then the ground squirrels found us and ate everything. Literally EVERYTHING, stalks an all 😦

44. Your garden looks wonderful! I have not been successful gardening as an adult but I grew up with so many of our own vegetables and fruits. Our peach tree was a favorite and I loved having fresh tomatoes!

45. This is so awesome. I am trying to grow tomatoes this year. I think it’s a great activity to get kids involved in too!

46. Omg how awesome!!! I always talk about starting a garden, yet I never do. It would be a fun project to do with my daughter that’s for sure

47. Eileen says:

I like this activity you made with the kids. I am happy that you were able to teach them the value of taking care of nature through gardening. It is also a learning experience for them to see a seed grow into a fruit or a vegetable that they can eat.

48. Beautiful garden! I haven’t started my garden yet, but I’m looking forward to sometime soon.

49. I have been wanting to do a garden this year! I did a little one a few years ago and loved it. My kids would walk outside and snack on all our veggies! They loved it!

50. The Everyday Mom Life says:

Your garden is beautiful! I love growing things with my kids. We love gardening together.